Wednesday 14 November 2012

Another wee review, and fun days

I must admit that I fell prey to the sometimes inaccurate views you see in magazine reviews, with this piece of loveliness.

Some mags have said that it's a warm jacket, for use only on the coolest of winter days...

...I believed them, and left it in the kit bag or drawer and used my other Endura kit.

I'm kicking myself now.

Up steps the 2013 green Stealth II jacket

It's waterproof, for starters and it's warm when all zipped up. So this softshell will keep you cosy on those freezing days, with perhaps a long sleeved Baa-Baa merino as a base layer. Hmmm. Merino. Hmmm.

Lovely.

But, and here's the rub, if you open the zips up on the sleeves, under the arms, on the sides, and maybe even let the full length front zip down a bit and you have air conditioning. This is a multi-use jacket that fits late summer through to early spring; if it's sunny; but the whole year if it's wet.

It has waterproof zips all over the place and is fully ultrasonically welded...

...And it's hard wearing.

I can't believe I listened, as it's proper lush and comfortable.

It's 3d reflective, so you'll be seen, and it has a proper, rigid, rear light mount.

This is a superb jacket, and mixed with the Baa Baa long sleeved top, and maybe an MT500 Burner Waterproof jacket, you'll be able to cycle in any weather that is thrown at you, without getting all "boiled in a bag."

This happened last weekend as I was out on a freezing cold day whilst out filming with Rough Riderz and their crazy 4 wheeled downhill bikes.Channels 4's Keme Nzerem ran the day as we did a wee piece for Channel 4 News.

This was the result. The video should be up by the time you read this.

What a day!!

It was freezing, and as we were filming, we spent a lot of the day faffing. See if you can guess how many layers I've got on. All are Endura, mind you. :)

I'm hoping to remain involved in the project, as my professional qualities seem to suit it nicely. It's a fantastic aim that could turn things around for lots of people.

A few days later, I went out with my friends from the halfwayup mountain bike club for some fun around Cwmcarn. We had managed to blag a day with Blake Samson and Martyn Ashton courtesy of Euro Commercials in Cardiff.

It was another day of filming, but it was sunny this time!!

As I got out of the van with my Hope kit on; it was like two women had turned up to a party in the same dress: Martin was wearing the same kit!

He was even more crestfallen when I rode off and showed him my skills...

...Actually, I got on my bike and rode off like I always do: slowly and a bit wobbly.

He then couldn't decide what wheel he wanted to use, and Blake just kept skying it off of the jumps, whilst Robin did his filmy magic, and the HWU boys followed along and played in the fantastic banter that our hosts provided.

I can't bring myself to describe the feeling in the pit of my stomach as Martin had a go on my bike. He still couldn't decide what wheel to use.

All of the club said in unison (LOUDLY), "You said 29ers couldn't wheelie or endo, Dave!?"

Gits.

The thing is, I might have said that, but can't remember.

I did reasonably well on the skid competition, though. Blake was laughing his arse off at me in my "sat on the bars" position, although I have to admit to doing myself a bit of damage...

...The steerer has been left long on my new forks for one of next years bikes.

Ouch.

I need a Vito now. It's just a case of persuading Jo that she wants one.

We're off to Cardiff later this week.


No comments: