Friday 10 June 2011

Rest, That's what!

I've felt ok since my ride, apart from Flu, Conjunctivitis and a cold sore the size of a plum on my top lip, which then exploded into a mahoosive and painful spot as it healed.

So in the first week after our wee ride, I rode my bike most days for short periods with friends.

I fell asleep in my friends dog bed after one of the rides, and they got a photo, but I ain't showing you.

My numb feet settled very quickly as did the pain in my shoulder that Jo had taped for me during the ride when I was at around about the 28 hour mark.

All in all, I felt ok really. No real bouts of debilitating tiredness, or anything really. We even managed to run a big old barbeque for the support crew of The Hobbit's Tale to say "Thank You" for going through hell so that I could put myself through hell, twice.

I drank beer...

...I swelled up and made some funny noises.

We tried the same thing the next night with cider (just two drinks)...

...Puffer fish time...

...Funny noises.

Alcohol is bad for me at the moment which, considering I was looking forward to letting my (greying) hair down a bit, is a bit of a kick in the man jewels.

However, I have managed to spend some time with my friends, having the odd interview done ready for release in "What Mountain Bike" on July 26th, for National news and local/regional newspapers. Being given the opportunity to have a wee interview on the Bristol Bike Fest 2011 Video was a great honour for me, and my bike (The sexy bike with rotor rings on it at the start).



It's been a time where strong friendships have gotten stronger and I've made some new friends, too.

Before the Bike Fest, Jo and I spent two weeks trying to gather up and collate all of the information required for the Guinness World Record authorities. It was 12-18hours of work daily, with only slight respites to take dogs for walks, have a wee bit of exercise or to eat. Stressful doesn't quite cover it, but it had to be done to be sure that everyone in our group gets the recognition that they deserve for helping out in our record attempt.


There is no doubt that I hold the unofficial record for the longest non-stop mountainbike ride, and the greatest distance achieved on a mountain bike in 48 hours. I'm also the first person to ride from South Wales to North in a non-stop coast to coast stylee in under 24 hours. I just messed it up by turning around and riding home, that's all.

But the unofficial record won't be good enough (in our eyes) for our friends and supporters, so the GWR(tm) took lots of work to get the correct data presented. All we can do now is to wait and see what they say.

I'm kind of hoping that , "The man from Guinness; He say, Yes!"

So Bristol...

I raced with my old friends "The Miggly Moos" in the 12hr team event for the "old Gits" (Vets).

We did well, and rode consistently, had a giggle and came third.

I was in absolute tatters, and haven't felt like training all week, but I'm not going to fight it. Tiredness is an important sign of being, well, tired, I suppose.

I have good reason, don't I?

Whilst we did the 12hr, Jo my luvver did the 12hr womens solo. Bear in mind that she hasn't trained for 2-3months because of the involvement in my selfish and self-centred project...

...She came third. She rode her heart out and came third, but she was in a heck of a state that night. I was her valet until gone midnight when she finally started to feel a bit better.

Scott popped his 12hr Cherry and came a hugely respectable 12th in one of the toughest (pedally) solo races there are, and Bm's Zoe came 3rd in the 6 hour on the Sunday.

Results!!!

Bristol is just Fun. Fast and furious fun at that!

No comments: