Sunday 28 February 2010

Sleeping Beauty (sort of)

Life has been a little busy and disjointed over the last couple of months and it felt like things were getting on top of me, so I took a rest week. This allowed me to get lots of small things around the house, work, and bike stuff sorted out whilst still allowing me to get 14hrs of sleep a night. I kid you not and it was Brilliant!!

I didn't feel ill although I was a bit sniffy, but really thought that I had lost my edge as I couldn't concentrate and sleep was difficult. Luckily, I think I'm quite good a listening to my body. When you've spent your life pushing things (mums call it overdoing things)in various disciplines, you learn this: if you're lucky.

No matter what's going on in life, we have to make sure that we don't dig ourselves a hole in overtraining(or poor recovery). Typically, athletes will feel really guilty and get agitated since they feel that they *should* be pushing hard all of the time...

...I eat pizza, guzzle fruit and drink red wine at this important time.

Oh, Yes!!!

That reminds me; I need to go turn the pizza oven on.

My new bike frame came and it's lush!! A lovely Red Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon frame with the new RP23 with boost valve.

It'll be built up with top line finishing kit from Syncros in the next couple of weeks and will include carbon wheels, xtr, hope, and my favourite Reba WC forks. It is going to be a bit special and I'm very excited.

So, Saturday came, and I felt ready for a day on the bike. Jo thought it would be a good idea for us to go and recce a bit of "The Hobbit's Tale" just to see what it was like at this time of year. At about 11am we set off from Pontsticill car park and made our way up to The Gap descent in the Beacons and on towards the climb that takes you along to Sennybridge Training Area.

The Gap descent is one of the parts that I had to get onto the Northward route. It's part of one of the most iconic and photogenic rides in the UK. It's also a superb downhill and starts with plenty of drop/roll offs and ends in flat out gravel and rock gardens which a downhill rider would enjoy. You can do it as a climb, but I don't know anyone who has managed to complete it in one go. Someone will prove me wrong, though, I hope. I thought about having it on the WC2C but if you can't make a climb when fresh, you are highly unlikely to do it or remember it fondly after 19 1/2hrs in the saddle.

The Gap held some challenges this weekend,as you can see

But it just goes on and on...



I drove up this once when I was in Mountain Rescue. It seemed that the Team Leader wanted to see if I could drive a V8 Landrover. We made it, but I never volunteered again. It scared the pants off of me.

Next off, we headed along the Bridleway from Brecon to a tumulus and Mynydd Epynt, beyond. This is the same Bridleway that was being repaired when I did the WC2C last March: the same one that was 6" deep in mud and hoof prints. Well it's still muddy, but is far better drained than last time. It will be easily rideable in the summer, and was only boggy now due to the amount of rain and snow we've had lately. It took me about 20mins to trudge through it last year so it should be about 15mins quicker on actual attempt.

Speaking of attempts; two of my friends are having a go at soloing the WC2C this year. Steve Heading is doing it, with a twist, and he will annihilate my time. Even with the "twist" he's a faster and more experienced rider. He doesn't look like he's going fast, but he is. Trust me.

Rich Holmes is the next guy who's having a go, and when he does it in the summer he'll be quicker too. A strong rider who is coming back from some protracted illness so he needs to prove things to himself. Nobody else, just him. Awesome.

His mate, Rik, is also going to do Richard Rothwells' English Coast to Coast at the same time. That should help them get some good publicity, eh?

The WC2C (and EC2C) will then exist as current challenges for others to get excited about.

Anyhow, back to our recce ride. We turned around and headed back to Brecon for a posh plate of soup and a coffee, and then followed the original WC2C route back to Ponsticill.

It was the first time I had been on 5 mile climb since March last year and the 1st WC2C. Funny, it felt just the same, and Jo didn't seem to enjoy it, at all.

Back home for Tea and Medals, and a fly bit of trifle.

Lush.

No comments: