Sunday 14 February 2010

Cold Knees and The Boss Who Knew Me.

Training has gone very well this month as I follow Coach Chris's Training Plan. The way he manages rest and quality training with no wasted effort or hours is only becoming evident to me after a year of massive improvements.

The "daft" little things that he says to you that get you out on your bike when your resolve wains, and the way he makes sure you rest well just sets you up for improvements.

Try him, or one of his pre-written plans. He's even written a new one for 24 soloists. You guys doing your first solo, not sure if a full coaching program would suit you; this could help you out.

So this weekend whilst I was enjoying my continued endurance gains, I decided to ride my Mountain Bike to North Wales.

Yip. I did.

I didn't quite get as far as I'd hoped due to a nasty headwind, but I got to Oswestry before Jo rescued me with the car and picked me up. I was freezing cold as I had thought I would be clever and time my cooldown perfectly to end as she arrived.

I floundered about a quiet carpark, out of drink and food, trying to stop my legs and back from seizing in the cold due to the 40 extra minutes I hadn't counted on...

...Oops.

We were on our way to Denbigh to see friends, for me to get tipsy and for Jo to do an offroad duathlon run by Uberfit Events at Llandegla. The organiser, Dave Quartermain, is an old friend of mine who used to come to the circuits I taught in the "Y" club in Manchester. In fact, we used to do the circuit together and beast each other mercilessly before the customers came for their piece of the action. They were popular classes, and it's one thing I still miss.

The circuits was the mainstay of our reflective conversation, but he had a job to do in running the event. We'll continue the catch up again, sometime soon, I hope.

As Jo was buying coffee for Wyn and I in the OnePlanet HQ, a chap came up to talk to me about my Welsh Coast To Coast and The Hobbits' Tale. I tried to appear intelligent and articulate as we had a conversation, but the truth was that I was a bit flustered. I didn't even do the introductions thing, so I don't really know who I was talking to. How bad is that?

It was probably the Boss at One Planet, but I should have asked. I feel daft now.

Jo did well on her runs, and blistered past folks on her mountain bike, and finished the event looking strong but muddy.

Wyn and I drank more coffee, after Jo started her race. We then whipped around the black and red runs toute suite, and got back for more coffee, cake and then off to Maccy D for a "meal".

Nice!

No photos this week, sorry.

No comments: