Sunday 18 December 2011

like waiting for a bus!

None for ages and then two in quick succession.

Dave's blogging...

So apart from being a waste of space for the last few weeks, I've still kept busy with work and even managed to do some good clinical consultancy work. I felt a bit of a fraud having to ask the professionals I was working with to do stuff for me; but I'm basically a lazy person so could put up with the strain.

The result was that we saw 3 or 4 perfect representations of the reasons people like us do the jobs that we do in healthcare: a smiling face on a patient!

It made my year, guys. Thanks.

Just before Christmas I got bored with my Turbo so was managing to get out and run off road with one of my dogs for about an hour or so each night. It's probably really cycling specific as all the hills are steep, and I'm really enjoying it.

The downhills are another matter.

The North Face have been brilliant over the last year; investing time and effort when I give them the puppy dog eyes. So when I couldn't ride my turbo (boredom and some pain) or row on my ergo (proper pain, stupid idea: idiot) due to the shoulder surgery, they dug deep and sent me some running kit.

Biomechanics is my thing and I could wax lyrical about shoe design, but that would be boring and pretentious. But the TNF single track shoes are great on the rocky terrain I run on and their vortex and better than naked kit is, well, unnoticeable in use.

The weather has been minging and the kit has been well used and very well appreciated too!

This means that we will really have to push the boat out for them in 2012 to pay them back for their help and understanding.

We were planning on that anyway but don't tell them.

My little dog, Tilly, had cataract surgery just before Christmas, so we won't be eating for a while at Hobbit's Towers. But it was worth it as she can see and, more importantly, cause trouble.



Obviously, my arm isn't working properly yet, even with loads of physio from "her indoors". Even though my deltoids don't do much of any conviction or determined use, it does feel much better than before.

The incessant ache I had is gone; I can rest my chin on my hands without shoulder pain and it's just, well, less painful. I didn't realise it at the time but it hurt like hell for years. I still can't get my head around it being in such a state for a long time.

So I'm going to keep running until my orthopaedic review in a week or two...

... But I miss my bike!

Which is nice.

I wish you all the best for 2012.

If you were as lucky as I was in 2011 with friends, support, shoulders to cry on and threats of what would happen if I stopped then you can't fail to have a great year in 2012.

Friends are the important part in any venture

Happy New Year

No comments: