Sunday 15 March 2009

Bike build

So, next weekend I plan on doing my WC2C ride from Caernarfon to Cardiff.

As a reminder, it uses route 8 in North Wales, before diving onto Black runs and Skull and Crossbone sections at Coed Y Brennin. Next "stop" is the ClimachX Final downhill, after a big climb and river crossing. From there on in is some Mach routage and all of the "connecting" Nant Yr Arian singletrack leading down to the main road.

You get the gist, but it finishes inside "The Celtic Ring" in Cardiff Bay.



At 214 miles and loads of climbing, I have my work cut out.



I can't wait.

Talking about weight...

... My bike has been fitted out with all of my hope kit and new running gear.

I started with a bare frame and forks, and then added the wheels. On these were my tubeless converted Maxxis Crossmark exception tyres. They are quick rolling and can be ridden surprisingly aggressively.

Supervision was enforced upon me, all day.



Next, I put my new crankset from KCNC, xtr changers and derailleurs, a titanium seatpost and scandium stem. Add to that my Hope mono mini Pro brakes, and you have one seriously bling bike.



I have no idea what it weighs, or how much weight I have saved. But the bike rides better, and it fits me like a glove now.

It should have been built and run in 3 weeks ago, but supply problems rule all of our plans.

If it hadn't been for Bertie Maffoons , I wouldn't have gotten any of this stuff. Meeting Sean, the owner, is like meeting an encyclopaedia of cycling. He knows everything about bikes and components and bends over backwards to help. He's just that kind of guy!

Right, that's enough for now.

Wish me luck on the WC2C. It's happening this weekend!

No comments: